Sunday 12 November 2017

British Steel paid for my education

British Steel paid for my education. I got a better deal than they did.

My parents weren’t that well off. I wangled a full grant (after year one anyway). University education was financed differently then and sometime in the 5th  (maybe even the 4th, I don’t remember clearly) form I noticed that there were companies who were prepared to “sponsor” you to go to college. I applied to everybody who was remotely relevant to the courses I wanted to do. It was excellent practice at filling in application forms and going to interviews (the companies always paid for the travel too. I finished up with an sponsorship from British Steel (General Steels Division, Cleveland).

It was an excellent deal from my point of view. BSC paid me the princely sum of 5 quid per month during term time, which doesn’t sound like much, but it was the maximum they could give me without affecting my grant. You have to consider that I paid 5 quid a week for my slum bedsit in my final year. Mild Ale was 22p per pint in the Students’ Union bar. I was flush!

BSC provided me with 3 months of relevant paid work (including 2 weeks paid vacation, which they insisted I took) during the long vacation 1st and 2nd year, and there was an almost guaranteed job offer at the end of my course. BSC called me a “Student Apprentice”. The result was a sort-of self-organised sandwich course, but in 3 years, not 4.

I loved it! BSC put me on a round-the-departments programme shadowing people. I was there in 1979 when BSC “blew in” what was then the largest blast-furnace in Europe (Redcar, since closed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWgsINl8SWw ). I worked in some terrible places too. The coke-ovens at Consett were an experience which I do not regret but would not want to repeat. Everyone knew that plant was doomed.

British Steel were flexible and tolerant. They allowed me to fiddle with the computers (FORTRAN and BASIC) in the evenings. For a several weeks 2nd Year vacation I would do my job (08:00 – 16:00) at the power station, clean up, walk to the sinter plant, where the “Coordination” computer (ICL 2900 series) was located and then spend 3 hours writing and running heat-transfer simulations. After that I would catch the bus to Middlesbrough, eat a take-away, drink several pints and repeat the following day. Only a 20-something-year-old can live like that.

When I graduated in 1979 I joined BSC and planned to spend at least several years there. “Events dear boy” intervened. In 1980 there was the Steel Strike ( https://steelvoices.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/the-1980-steel-strike-thirty-five-years-on/ obviously left-wing etc but factually correct). I worked through that (I’ve crossed more picket lines than most people). Another experience I would not particularly want to repeat. After the strike was over, my “posting” was to an obsolescent blast furnace plant, and my task was to work out how to shut down the steam distribution system safely. Obviously “the writing was on the wall” so I looked for another job, and found one with a company that designed boilers. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/32859789@N02/7074725003 I was based at the Power Station in this picture)

Ironically (unintended pun), the plant which I was supposed to help to shut down lasted much longer than anyone expected. There were 5 blast-furnaces on the site and 2 of them continued in operation making ferro-manganese alloy metal. They ran until ? and weren’t demolished until 1994 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DnXcPouT0k ).  The coke ovens on the same site continued in operation until 2015! (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/tears-shed-final-batch-pushed-10095955 )


No comments:

Post a Comment